Get Your SC Marriage License During Court Shutdown
Its a terrible time right now isn’t it? Social distancing, virus scares, layoffs, even toilet paper shortages. But even so, some couples still want (or need) to get married! Nothing stands in the way of true love I guess. Problem was you had to apply in person at the probate court, but the courts are closed and if they are closed that means no marriage license. Lucky for everyone though that Lexington County Probate Court has found a way to solve this problem, at least for the short term during the coronavirus (COVID-19) scare. Now, you can apply by mail and the court will mail you a license. And no, you DO NOT have to be a resident of Lexington County or even Sout Carolina. You can get your license from them and use it anywhere in South Carolina (but only in SC, not out of state).
How does it work? Go to this link here and download the marriage license application. It is a pdf file. Print it out.
- Complete the application.
- Include copies of both applicant’s Social Security cards (if you don’t have a SS card then any official document that has the name and SS number on it).
- Include a copy of each applicants government issued picture ID.
- Cash, check, or money order for $30.00
- Indicate on the application which address you want the marriage license mailed to from the court.
- Sign the application in front of a notary.
- Mail the completed application, the documents, and the fee to;
LEXINGTON COUNTY PROBATE COURT
205 E. MAIN STREET, SUITE 134
LEXINGTON, SC 29072
And right now, the Marriage Notary is running a special to assist the court. Normally our basic fee for a small, simple ceremony is $75. But during this crisis,
- We will meet with you and notarize the signatures on the application for you
- After you receive your marriage license back from the court, we will meet with you again and sign the copies of the license
- One of the copies you keep as your original certificate of marriage and we will file the other two copies with the court
If you have any questions, please give us a call at 803-446-3405