State of South Carolina
Marriage License Application Process
- License Fee: Varies by county.
- Minimum Age: (16).
- Minor applicants must have parental consent and present a certified or original birth certificate.
- The parents of minor(s) must provide Identification.
- Waiting Period: There is a (24) twenty-four hour waiting period after the application is made before the license can be picked up and the parties can be married.
- This waiting period varies from county to county, so please contact the appropriate county Probate Judge’s office at least a week before you plan to get married.
- License Validity: There is no expiration date for a South Carolina marriage license. (except Richland County which states the license is only good for 6 months. There might be other counties other than Richland that have an expiration date so check with the county before you apply if that might be an issue)
- Blood Test: Not Required.
- Residency: Not Required.
- Witnesses: South Carolina does not require a witness to the marriage.
Where to go:
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, both parties had to appear together to apply for the license, but only one was required to pick it up after the 24 hour period has passed (or you can have the license mailed to you). Now some counties allow online applications, Richland County for one (click on the link for the procedure to apply online). Lexington County allows you to apply by mail but the application has to be notarized. If you appear in person, all counties in SC adhere to the procedure of both parties applying for the license in person first, except Aiken County. Aiken County, SC allows you to fax in the marriage license application and then both of you can pick it up. You can download the marriage application here. What this means is that you can download the application, fill it out, sign, and fax it in (at least 24 hours before the day the you want to pick it up).To pick up the license from Aiken County both parties have to be present to pick it up if you mailed or faxed the application in and did not appear in person to apply.